We are seeking to employ a Design Director to work with our Envelopes team (façade engineers) within our London-based office.
What is the role?
We are currently looking for a highly motivated Façade Designer / Consultant to join our Envelopes team at Design Director level. Our Design Directors provide design and technical leadership to our teams in London as well as building a strong industry presence to build and develop key client relationships. The role will involve full end to end business development process including strategic planning, networking, lead generation, opportunity qualification, successful bid management and early-stage account management. Successful applicants will have a broad understanding of façade design, excellent holistic problem-solving skills, and a thorough understanding of the Construction industry.
The successful applicant will educate, inspire, and motivate colleagues to high standards of design quality and to achieve successful delivery of projects. We would expect the successful applicant to join and enhance our open culture where curiosity and imagination are valued alongside technical rigour. We are seeking a passionate and highly skilled professional with extensive experience in the industry, excellent client relations, and an established name in the industry.
We are looking for the right individual to contribute and take part in our ambitious growth plans.
As a senior member of staff the responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Marketing and client care as set out in agreed business marketing plans.
- Development of long-term working relationships and collaborative agreements with key clients.
- Identify key decision-makers in each target client organisation and develop key relationships leading to the growth of a pipeline of new opportunities.
- Responsible for winning work through maximising additional/repeat/follow-on work from clients.
- Help drive innovation in service offerings.
- Technical Leadership and client care on key active projects.
- Assist the Technical Directors where appropriate on technical project review.
- Lead with designated Management Directors on the composition and submission of Commercial Proposals inclusive of PQQ/RFP and OJEUs including co-ordinating cross-functional teams in support of this process.
- Develop and lead on c Presentations, Tender Interviews and Practice to Practice presentations.
- Assisting in the monitoring of technical competence across the Façade team.
- Development of a strong industry profile and act as a knowledge base for key clients.
- A technically focussed engineer, with substantial experience of engineering and delivering in a broad range of structure types and materials.
- Working with the Project Director to act as a key client interface at a technical support level.
- Experience in the use of software for structural analysis and design.
- The ability to clearly communicate technical and design concepts through reports and presentations.
- Assist the Technical Directors to implement and maintain AKT II’s technical agenda and shape the technical direction of the Practice.
- Assisting in Research and Development initiatives, knowledge dissemination and implementation.
- Prepare and assist in the drafting of technical brochures, presentations, and literature to promote the Practice.
- Overall Project Management including programme, quality control, technical management, and delivery.
- Act as a senior representative of the Practice in presenting the business to clients, peers and at industry groups.
We would like to hear from you if you
- Have a strong technical background and possess an excellent technical background in facades/curtain walling, stone cladding, glass and associated materials
- Are a good communicator and team worker, as well as able to demonstrate experience in managing and leading projects across a range of industry sectors.
- Possess excellent commercial acumen
- Are skilled in relationship building
- Are experienced and skilled in project management
- Are enthusiastic, pro-active and able to work on your own initiative
- Are open to change and continual improvement
- Have a high level of IT literacy (expert knowledge of all façade systems)
- Have the desire to nurture and develop the team members to maximize their full potential
- Are a self-motivated individual, looking to lead teams and advance your career both technically and in terms of project management - managing a dynamic team of engineers and technicians
- Have proven design and management experience, as well as delivering projects to a high-quality standard as well as on-time and in budget
- Are a hands-on contributor motivated to improve performance and quality
- Champion continuous improvement and help raise the bar on quality, performance and contribute new ideas and concepts that are at the cutting edge of design
- Have previous and significant exposure with clients of both national and local authorities, together with major contractors.
- Relevant degree in (façade engineering, architecture, civil engineering, mechanical engineering or structural engineering etc.)
- An MSc degree in façade engineering or equivalent institutional qualification is desirable.
- Experienced in the delivery of complete lifecycle projects through to completion.
- A solid understanding of the London and international market is preferable.
- A good grounding as a general practitioner is also essential, with a thorough understanding of the interaction required between other disciplines associated with building design. The ability to integrate well into wider project teams is essential working closely with architects and other construction professionals to develop designs from early concept stage through to final construction issue information.
- As an individual of high calibre, candidates shall have had exposure to clients, designers, contractors and builders. Through the effectiveness of their technical design and management, the candidate should be able to demonstrate how these relationships have led to the delivery of excellence and the development of client relationships.