We are seeking to employ a Management Director to work within our London-based office.
What is the role?
We are currently looking for a highly motivated chartered structural engineer to assist in the management of projects within the structural engineering group at Management Director level, reporting to a Group Director. You will have experience in undertaking the design and project management of structural and civil engineering projects including the production of structural designs, calculations, drawings and specifications. You will have been working on large scale projects and possess a strong awareness of the local market.
You will also have extensive experience as a project engineer responsible for management of the design phase including financial management and control of the design process with experience of managing teams being desirable. A seasoned Engineer you will have gained a minimum of circa 12+ years in the industry and be well acquainted with the industry scene in terms of contacts with Developers, Contractors and Architects.
AKT II has delivered a wide variety of projects, and our current workload includes several high-profile projects. See our project page for examples: https://akt-uk.com/projects
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Managing multiple complex projects effectively and efficiently.
- Managing a large team(s) and effectively plan resources.
- Exercising financial control over projects and assisting in assessing fees and additional fee claims.
- Reviewing monthly invoicing and producing invoice drafts with the support of the Finance team.
- Assist in the management of the wider business and motivate and support teams to meet design standards and technical excellence.
- Assist in the implementation and monitoring of business strategy.
- Lead on preparation of the composition and submission of the Commercial aspects of PQQ/RFP and OJEUs including coordinating cross-functional teams in support of this process.
- Acting as a key client interface at a technical and project delivery level.
- Providing technical support to the building structures team.
- Assisting in the development of new technology and ways of working.
- Promoting and developing multi-disciplinary working.
- Complying with all aspects of AKT’s Quality Management Systems/Procedures.
- Preparation/issuing of fee letters/invoicing schedules.
- Technical support and training to staff.
- Providing Client care and development.
- Client liaison and the production of tenders, including quality documentation and costings for submissions.
- Overall Project Management including program and resource monitoring, quality control, technical management and delivery.
- Review of Service Schedules, DRM’s and other Project documentation with the support of the Legal team.
- Identify where skills are not available in-house and work with external partners and subcontractors to deliver project needs.
- Preparation and management of Project Execution Plans.
- Act as a senior representative of the Practice in presenting the business to Clients, peers and at industry groups.
- Provide input to and help develop and maintain the structural group’s processes and best practices.
- Complete performance reviews, manage attendance, holidays and any staff wellbeing issues as appropriate with the support of HR.
- Comply with and have full understanding of the responsibilities as defined in the Group’s Health, Safety & Environment Policy and ensure compliance with the same.
We’d like to hear from you if you
- Possess an excellent and substantive technical background in the design of building structures in all traditional materials. They need to be good communicators and team workers and be able to demonstrate experience in managing and leading multiple projects across a range of industry sectors. They need to be enthusiastic, pro-active and able to work on their own initiative. They need to be open to change and continual improvement.
- Have a proven ability to manage multiple high-level projects concurrently.
- Have a high level of IT literacy is essential together with a desire to nurture and develop the team members to maximise their full potential.
- Are looking to lead teams and to advance their career both technically and in project management in a dynamic structures team of engineers and technicians.
- Have proven design and project management experience delivering to quality, time and budget.
- Have a thorough knowledge of UK design standards and documentation practices.
- Have had previous exposure with clients of both national and local authorities, together with major contractors.
- A recognised engineering degree
- Fellow or Chartered Member of an industry-related Professional Body i.e. CEng MIStructE / MICE
- Applicants must have relevant experience of the management and delivery of design for major building projects.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate strong and fair leadership in the face of conflicting priorities and pressures.
- A solid understanding of the London market.
- Experienced in the delivery of complete lifecycle projects through to completion.
- An understanding of large and complex programmes and the dynamics of strategic and tactical resourcing.
- A good grounding as a general practitioner is also essential, with a thorough understanding of the interaction required between other disciplines associated with building design. The ability to integrate well into wider project teams is essential working closely with architects and other construction professionals to develop designs from early concept stage through to final construction issue information.
- A familiarity with relevant design codes in concrete, steel and timber design is essential. A working understanding of Eurocodes, relevant International design standards will also be advantageous.
- As an individual of high calibre, candidates shall have had exposure to clients, designers, contractors and builders. Through the effectiveness of their technical design and management, the candidate should be able to demonstrate how these relationships have led to the delivery of excellence and the development of client relationships.
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from challenges both technically and operationally to deliver on high-end complex projects.